Sleep is important to everyone’s health and well-being, but most especially for your child’s. The amount of sleep a person should have varies, depending on the individual, their age, and other factors. Does your child get enough sleep? See the table below, and find out!
Besides making your kids feel great and refreshed, sleep has a lot of other benefits for them.
- It replenishes their energy needed for the day. It is at this time when cells repair and the body restores itself.
- It promotes growth. While asleep, the growth hormone is released. This hormone affects not just their height, but also muscle mass and bone density. With the right amount of sleep, kids have stronger and leaner bodies.
- It boosts learning. Having the proper amount of sleep helps increase their attention span, making it easier for kids to acquire knowledge, process it, and effectively store it in their memory.
- It helps builds up their resistance. It boosts the immune system to fight off sickness, especially during cold and flu season.
- Studies also show that too little sleep can cause obesity. Children, like adults, crave for higher-fat or higher-carb foods when they are tired.